association:meetings

Octanis Meetups

Meetings are now documented in http://sheepdog.octanis.org.

Topics:

  • amazon web services intro python
  • Pyta updates
  • cloud chamber

Topics:

  • AI grant application proposals
  • Octanis day trip (@noid's proposition)
  • Hackuarium crowdfunding backer perks
  • Nestbox ctd…
  • Rack Software development
  • Rack mission badge finalisation

Topics:

  • [ 5 mins] Warm-up :)
  • [15 mins] Rack inauguration day program
  • [10 mins] Hackuarium crowdfunding backer perks
  • Nestbox PCB testing
  • Nestbox firmware development
  • Rack Software development
  • Rack mission badge finalisation

Topics:

  • Sign up to Poodle.octanis.org!
  • Nestbox PCB full assembly
  • Nestbox Firmware: Kick-off!
  • Rack: Software
  • Building a small replica of the toroidal ATLAS magnet system

Topics:

  • Visit of the Vice Provost of Education of EPFL (just kidding –> postponed)
  • Discussion about the EPFL association interviews
  • Nestbox PCB partial assembly and characterization results. –> Discuss next steps (Light barrier testing, antenna measurement with matching network, mounting on nestbox, final assembly)
  • Rack assembly with newest components
  • (Mouser order: any more components needed? Solderpaste?)

Topics:

  • Better (antenna-performance-wise) option for a RFID tag: Plastic birdring! This study uses both metallic “old-school” rings and plastic rings, however they do not have any long-term experience yet. A glass tag glued to the metal ring may get influenced by the metal (antenna disturbance) and may potentially be more expensive than a plastic birdring.
  • order some PIT tags from current supplier or different if current one doesn't reply fast enough
  • make test of 5 different arrangements of tag + aluminum ring
  • using other than alu rings will be more difficult but possible
  • thursday: network analyser
  • order launchpads
  • weekend: solder matching network, light barrier, 1 board each
  • ST demo rfid board: play with different tags → qualitative measurements
  • we can test in the voliere
  • Robin will say hi

Location: MED 3 2215

Topics:

  • Join a team or work on something you committed to last week.
  • Nestbox planning & overview
  • Rover planning & overview
  • Rack planning & overview

Location: MED 3 2215

Google Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/bitmorse.com/octanisopennights

Present:

Topics:

Let's try something new tonight!

1. Standing Apéro at 19:15-19:40

2. Form a group of 3, based on a topic that requires attention (see below)

3. In the group, brainstorm for 15min (no more, no less!)

4. Get feedback by presenting your ideas and challenges to everyone

5. Back to the group, but now stop talking and start doing. Try to do one tangible action :)

  • Response for Randy [about sharing mainboard]

Location: MED 3 2215

Present:

Topics:

  • EPFL Rack Status Update
  • STIL helpers wanted :)
  • Survey: Why are you in Octanis? What do you learn here that you don't in classes? → Can you provide a testimonial?
  • Nestbox update from Raffael
  • 20h: Call from SMU on Rover

Location: MED 3 2215

Present: Jeroen, Jorge, Johannes, Ana, Raffael, Quentin, Sam, Franziska, Beat

Topics:

Topics:

Topics:

  • Owl box updates
  • EPFL onboarding process update
  • next board meeting

Topics:

  • Welcome new members! (onboarding)
  • EPFL news (!)
  • Rover news
  • Nestbox prototype concept (Raffael presentation)
    • website
    • search for students
    • Possible data collection (other from in-out movement): Temperature, body weight (to know if owls are able to breed),
  • Phone
  • Member suggestions
  • Members as of December 2016:

Present: see GA minutes <fc #ff0000> EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL ASSEMBLY</fc>

Topics:

Present: Ana, Beat, Sam, Raffael

Discuss shortly, then break out into groups to work.

Topics:

  • 10min: Nestbox project
    • Todo: Website
    • Todo: Photos + Texts
    • Todo: Feasability
    • confirmed:
      • moved to next wednesday
  • 5min: Visitor will come to propose a “LoRa project”
  • 5min: Microbiology workshop, when is it moved to?
    • february 10 and 12
  • 3min: PCB workshop, how did it go?
    • time spent: 10h
    • people hesitated to sign up
    • appreciative
  • 3min: Bilbao
    • going tomorrow, 18-20.nov
    • workshop: how to balloon mission
    • stand: poster, print A3 posters
  • 5min: Air sampler, where are you headed?
    • moved to next week
  • 3min: Beat workshop
    • arduino beyond the library
    • 14. jan
  • 3min: powerlab
    • todo: send email
  • 3min: workshop zielgruppe
  • Other inputs? Misc.
  • EPFL campaign: Pictures of people who liked what they were doing (like Faraday, Ramanujan) + Logo. At the same time be prepared to answer the questions about “why”. Goal: challenge the mindset of “I am at epfl because it's good for my CV”

To research:

  • hesitation to sign up to wshop if no attendees yet
    • add ourselves to meetups

Present: Gianpaolo, Sam, Marion, Jeroen, Raffael, Beat

Topics:

  • Nest boxes website
  • Pipetting workshop
  • Air sampling pumps: tested! Works as a charm! 3.7V - 300mA
  • Air sampling analysis:
    • DNA sequencing seems to be too expensive (several k$)
    • Alternaitive: simply let bacteria grow
    • 2nd Alternative: use a https://ubiome.com/explorer kit and let them do the sequencing. First step: let the pump run for a 1-2 hours on the ground, send it in and see the results.
  • Contact “gymnases” for workshop advertisement. Prepare new flyers (french; “easy-to-understand”) till next Sunday night. Call the gymnases to know how they communicate with kids (next week). Workshop dates: Mid-january (PCB design); 10/12.february Bacterias;

Present: Sofia, Raffael, Sam, Isabelle

Topics: * Phone update * Body bags update / research

  • Workshop advertising review → what worked what didnt?
  • Owl boxes
    • see slack #nestbox
  • Airsampler
    • contact DNA lady?

Present: David, Marion, Beat, Quentin, Sam, Jeroen, Raffael

Topics:

  • (Octanis Mars Video)
  • Upcoming general assembly
    • slides
    • prepare success/fail stories
    • apero: raffael buys stuff saturday
  • Body bag update
    • Raffael proposes meeting
  • Workshop advertising
    • start with microbio fb ads
    • microbio link on FB groups of sv
    • libraries ads
    • students homes (FMEL)
    • unil Rachel → eprouvette
    • mike horn
    • hse ads
    • raffael will mail floreano and atienza and DLL
  • Newsletter
    • workshops
    • 1 story from the past by raffael (glacier)
    • project pick of the month: plastic recycling
    • rizky was looking for computer vision
    • Waterproof a BlueRobotics Submarine down to 300m and locate it! http://ecol.epfl.ch/
    • network at laforge meetup
  • Air sampler
  • FreeCAD/other open CAD software show'n'tell
  • Phone

Present: Ana, Jeroen, Raffael, Beat, Sofia

Topics:

Minutes:

  • GA Octanis 30.10.2016, 14h
  • TBD when: marion + david airsampler
  • Bags:
    • Why not just geo tag the bags?
    • Needs to be high throughput → ebola
    • sam writes mail

Present: Beat,Marion,Ana,Sam,David,Raffael,Sacha

Topics:

  • New members welcome
  • Card label printing for Ana, David, Jeroen
  • Upcoming balloon launch (NOT this Saturday): http://wiki.octanis.org/orb/autumn_balloon
  • Air sampler - design improvements
  • Microbiological workshop: choice of bacteria/order all the materials
  • Workshops and courses on meetup & benefits for checkpoint card holders.
  • Beat project proposal: mobile phone
  • Rover status update, Open tasks
  • Summer participants thank you
  • EPFL

Protocols:

  • bPhone
  • Strudel
  • - Sacha:
  • - Internet
  • - Display
  • - Camera
  • - Browser
  • - Nokia
  • - Rubbery screen (silgard epoxy)
  • - Carabiner holder
  • - Beat: MIT open source phone as starting phone “DIY Cellphone”
  • - Wood, nice, but too basic
  • - would like to find phone with at least 2G but not >2G
  • - Ublox GPRS + UMTS, works everywhere except Japan
  • - Microcontroller: 16-32bit, similar functionality to nokia 3210, small display, phonebook
  • - Waterproof, floating, shockproof, microusb for charging, 1 month battery life standby, 10hours calling
  • - wifi support for telegram
  • - Mechanical buttons
  • - Dual processor: 1 for android, 1 for non-android
  • - Marion:
  • - Data, blocks phone
  • - ecological: fair trade, recyclable, repairable
  • - design your phone for whatever you need
  • - Ana:
  • - listen to mp3s or spotify streaming api
  • - reading books

http://www.meetup.com/octanis/events/234811673/

Present: Sam, Marion, Quentin, Raffael

  • Call with Bioinformatics people from Geneva:

They want to capture bacteria, viruses, pollen in the air and sequence the DNA. Possible to launch a balloon with air filter. Waiting for their reply and proposal (timeline: ~october)

  • Welcome day for summer contributors: Send a reminder for the doodle and then decide on the date.
    • 1h presentation
    • print out tasks on paper, post-it
    • everyone makes their own Pizza

Present:

  • ROS + Hardware setup
  • Magic light effect on ICs
  • Navigation tests

Present: Joseph, Raffael

  • LIDAR + ROS + Olimex integration: progress of this week.
  • New stereocams arrived: test results?
  • New EPS finished for production.

Present: Joseph, Quentin, Sven, Raffael

  • LIDAR + ROS + Olimex integration
  • Transport dates and logistics to Antarctica
  • MAVlink demo
  • New EPS schematic review

Present: ∅

  • Transport dates and logistics to Antarctica
  • MAVlink demo
  • New EPS schematic review

Present: Omar, Ricardo, Sofia, Clara, Beat, Sam, Raffael

Present: Eloi, Marion, Quentin, Nicolas, Raffael, Sven

Present: Ana, Eloi, Nicolas, Joseph, Sam, Raffael

Present: Pamela, Ana, Raffael, Sam

tonights meeting mainly to discuss how to replicate this http://www.the-cryosphere-discuss.net/tc-2016-67/ on the rover, see you there!

Location: Hackuarium

Present:

Topics:

  • rover drive tests
  • u-blox GPS
  • navigation and messaging with ROS
  • LoRa downlink

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Eloi, Sam, Ana, Pamela, Raffael

Topics:

  • GPS, navigation
  • data analysis

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Nicolas, Eloi, Michael, Sam, Ana, Nawel, Raffael

Topics:

  • Luc's LoRa Gateway
  • Vid editing w/ Sasha

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Marion, Raffael, Sam

Topics:

  • Salon SV
  • Antarctic Secrets
  • Vid

Location: Hackuarium

Present:

Topics: same as on Monday.


Location: Hackuarium

Present: Eloi, Raffael

  • Easter Balloon payload preliminary inspection & sneak peak at near-space videos
  • What's next after the balloon: Rover navigation (GPS, stereovision, etc), communication, “intelligence”, reliability, energy management, …
  • Glacier excursion scheduled next sunday to test the cameras.
  • Sponsoring
  • Membership fees, who's payed yet, who hasn't?

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Pamela, Sam, Raffael

  • SF final preparation of the delta kits.

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Sam, Nicolas, Raffael

  • Easter Balloon recap, results, lessons learned and next steps
  • SF prep. How many boards are ready?
  • Response from SF guy re LoRa access?
  • Membership fees, who's payed yet, who hasn't?
  • Owl boxes → LoRa
  • Nico midterm this week
    • Status: Matlab implementation vs “real” implementation in C?
    • Can we have a first working version for the 17. april (to test in snow)?
    • Camera hardware OK?
    • Status: Camera evaluations
    • Research on using GPU?
    • Google drive folder
    • Status: Report

Location: Hackuarium/St. Sulpice

Present: Nicolas, Michael, Ana, Quentin, Pamela, Marion, Sam, Raffael

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Quentin, Marion, Michael, Raffael, Sam

  • Planning of the balloon flight day (how to move helium? materials list needed for the “stand” and for the filling.)
  • Todos left for the flight software
  • Todos left for the flight hardware
  • Promotion: writing of the mail
  • Promotion: Contact press and media
  • Dashboard review

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Pamela, Riccardo, Eloi, Marion, Sam, Raffael

  • New members introduction: Welcome Ricardo!
  • Texner
  • Balloon preparation (helium, parachute assembly, electronics, software, lora)
  • SF mainboards preparations
  • lab.octanis.org
  • new meeting day? monday? –> Monday works for most, and we will keep the Wednesdays as well.

Location: STCC, Hackuarium

Present: Eloi, Marion, Nicolas, Pamela, Quentin, Raffael, Sam, Ana, Nawel

  • STIL!

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Ana, Eloi, Marion, Nicolas, Pamela, Quentin, Raffael, Sam

  • Nico's semester project status #octanis1-stereoscopy
  • Stand at STIL 16 March: POSTERS, KITS
  • Rover Mecha News (auto-pipette, quentins sampler)
  • Rover Elec News (EPS, main: flash, gsm…)
  • Balloon News (plan)

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Nico, Adi, Michael, Eloi, Raffael, Sam, Marion

  • Nico's semester project status #octanis1-stereoscopy
  • Stand at STIL 16 March: tasks
  • Rover Mecha News (ninjaflex)
  • Rover Elec News (EPS, main: flash, gsm…)
  • Balloon News (plan)
  • Octanis SF
  • New barcode stickers / new label machine

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Eloi, Raffael, Sam

  • Octanis SF
  • Stand at STIL 16 March
  • Octanis Balloon open tasks

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Eloi, Raffael, Sam

  • Swisscom preparation
  • Rover manual control news (DS3)

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Marion, Raffael, Beat, Sam, Quentin

  • P. A. preparation
  • New MSP432 launchpads arrived!
  • New UV cuvettes arrived!

Location: Hackuarium

Present: Marion, Raffael, Beat, Sam, Quentin, Eloi

  • DAF discussions

Location: EPFL

Present: Sam

  • DAF meeting

Location: EPFL

Present: Beat, Quentin, Sam, Raffael

  • TI webinar

Location: EPFL

Present: Sam, Raffael

  • TI call

Location: EPFL

Present:

  • Iglidur 3D printing

Location: Hackuarium

Present: see here

  • association/meetings.txt
  • Last modified: 4 years ago
  • by sam